November turned to winter in a hurry: snow, skiing and temperatures one night near zero. Both photos, early season skiers at Craftsbury Outdoor Center, VT, USA.
- Lost Nation Roll Roller Ski Race
- USBA Team Shoot
- Black Lives Matter, Vermont State House
- Sanders & Yang in New Hampshire
- 2019 International Biathlon Union Trials
- September 2019 Climate Strike
- PEI: Sea, Sky and Field
- Dam Wrightsville Cyclo-Cross
- Hemp Harvest
- Hannah & Ben
- Montpelier’s July 3 Parade & the Montpelier Mile
- Getty Sport
- Getty B & W
- Getty Travel
- Getty People
- Recent Clips
- US Biathlon Association 2019 Nationals
- FIS World Cup Finals, Quebec City
- Seefeld 2019: FIS World Nordic Ski Championships
- The Seven Sisters
- London: Look Both Ways
- 2019 US Paralympics
- Normandy & Brittany
- NENSA 2018 Eastern Cup, Craftsbury
- Pheasant Shoot
- Grand Canyon Rafting
- 2018 World Disc Golf Championships
- Lake Champlain Open Water Swim
- Susanna & Akaash
- Chaloux Brothers Firewood
- Craftsbury Half Marathon
- Gulf of California & Baja California Sur
- 2018 Super Tour Finals @ Craftsbury
- World Cup Ski Orienteering at Craftsbury
- Mont Ste. Anne Ski de Fond, Quebec
- Catching Up on Oregon
- Solar Eclipse, 2017, Painted Hills, Oregon
- 2017 US National Biathlon Roller Ski Championships
- Nouveau Brunswick, Nova Scotia
- Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park, Finland
- Lahti #3
- Lahti World Championship #1
- State House Refugee Vigil
- Eastern Cup #1, 2016-17
- PEI, 2016
- Wind River, Yukon
- New Haven River Race
- Craftsbury Super Tour Finals 2016
- Ski Tour Canada 2016
- STC 2016 Athletes, Coaches, Volunteers
- UVM Winter Carnival, Eastern Cup, Super Tour
- Craftsbury Paralympics Gallery 2016
- 2015 Craftsbury Eastern Cup
- Coast to Coast
- Skyline Blue Ridge
- Florida Keys
- Craftsbury SuperTour 2015, II
- Craftsbury SuperTour 2015
- Oregon Coast & Portland
- Austria & the World Masters
- Natchez Trace Parkway
- Plainfield Flower Farm
- Croatia’s Dalmatian Islands
- Home Share Now
- Santacon + NYC2
- Algonquin Park
- Irene Clean-Up, Waterbury, VT
- Irene Aftermath
- La Belle France
- 2011 NCAA Nordic Ski Championships
- Craftsbury Eastern Cup
Category Archives: Winter
In northern New England, the winter of 2018-19 really started in early November, and it kept going and going. In fact, it seemed as though spring did not arrive until the past few days, when temperatures reached the 60s and the peepers started peeping. There was a lot of winter. Toward the end of the season, snow at the snow stake on top of Mount Mansfield, the highest summit in Vermont, reached more than 10 feet. Above is one of my favorite pictures of the winter, from Craftsbury, VT.
Night and snow settling on LBJ’s Grocery, Worcester, VT. You can get garam masala and basmati rice here in addition to Bud Light and Hershey bars.
It’s been a busy winter, and I haven’t posted much, but I have been posting more regularly on Instagram (@lazenbyphoto), so if you have Instagram, follow! Meanwhile, I’ll be catching up here.
After a long cloudy day, the sun came out and the kids started jumping off the mini-mountain of manmade snow at the Craftsbury, VT, Outdoor Center last weekend. The guy on the bottom started out facing the other direction and in this series is en route to a 360.
The 2018 Super Tour finals brought nordic skiers from across the country to the Craftsbury, VT, Outdoor Center for five days of racing last week. Panning (moving the camera with the action while it is set at a slow shutter speed) is often a matter of luck, and I lucked out on the above photo of the lead pack in the men’s 50-k freestyle race starting down a gradual hill. Below, the 50-K start, a skier at the finish, and young racers in the club relay held after the Super Tour relay. Bottom, America’s Olympic cross country ski medalists: left and right, Kikkan Randall and Jessie Diggins (gold, PyeongChang, 2018); center, Bill Koch (silver, Seefeld, 1976). Click here for a gallery of all the events. Use the right arrow to speed up viewing.
No matter what it’s doing where you are, it’s still winter at Mont Sainte Anne in Quebec, just down the Fleuve St. Laurent from Quebec City. Four feet of snow on the ground in the last week of February. Velo d’hiver riders (below) and skiers taking advantage of the situation while they can. Hydro Quebec electric lines humming loudly in the falling snow. For more, click here for a gallery.
US cross country ski team member Jessie Diggins (Afton, Minnesota) leads up the hill above the stadium in Lahti, Finland, in a photo I took at last year’s World Nordic Ski Championships. It’s the cover of the newest issue of Cross Country Skier magazine. Diggins won her first World Cup race of the year today and will be headed to PyeongChang, South Korea, in a few weeks for the Winter Olympics. Click here for info on the magazine and, if you’re a skier, subscribe!
Kaitlynn Miller (Elmore, VT) and Kelsey Phinney (Sun Valley, Idaho) hug after Miller won the SuperTour sprint race in Craftsbury, VT, Friday. Earlier in the week, Miller was named to the US Olympic team along with six other cross-country or biathlon skiers from the Craftsbury Green Racing Project. Below, the sartorial splendor of Jack Schrupp of the Williams College Purple Cows; Forrest Mahlen (Alaska Pacific University), the winner of the men’s race; and Miller, all in the sprint qualifier.
It snowed. And we have more color in living black and white.
Favorites from today in Lahti: East Montpelier, VT’s, Liz Stephen, above, charging up the big hills as part of the US women’s 4-by 5-k relay team. Liz hammered the hills to help bring the team to within about 30 seconds of a bronze medal. Other favorites, below: Norway’s Marit Bjorgen waving the flag (again) after Norway won the relay; the Swedish relay team, on camera for the ski press after finishing second; the Canadian team, looking wholesomely Canadian after finishing tenth in a field of sixteen; and Sadie Bjornsen leading the US skiers out of the finish area. Click here for details at FasterSkier.com.